I have to rewind a little bit to the story of the gray chair.... when we first switched her to her toddler bed, she INSISTED that we lay in her gray chair until she fall asleep. At the time, we were so thrilled that she would stay in her bed and go to sleep if we laid in her gray chair (and we were all SO overtired and just wanted her to sleep) that we obliged. Unfortunately, this has turned into a REALLY bad habit and she got to the point where if she woke up in the middle of the night she wouldn't go back to sleep until mommy or daddy got up and laid in her gray chair again. We tried to incentivize (i.e. bribe) her by telling her that if she was brave and stayed in there without us in the gray chair, we would take her to the Disney store and she could pick out a prize. While she likes the idea of earning her prize, she would tell us every night "soon I will be brave". She cracks me up;) I really wanted to break her of this before the baby comes so last night I decided it was finally time to just let her cry it out and be brave. So, Daddy and I tucked her in and said our good nights and shut the door. And she SCREAMED and SCREAMED and SCREAMED. Daddy went into the office with the door shut and music on so he couldn't hear her (which is probably a good thing because I'm sure he would have cracked when she started with the "Daaaaady, I need you! Daaaady, please come hold me!!". After an hour, she did finally fall asleep on her own AND she didn't wake us up all night!! YAY!! I will say that when she woke up she was so very proud of herself for being brave (even if it was forced bravery - ha ha!). The funniest part is that she has the bedtime rules so ingrained in her head that she can't get out of her bed that even with all the screaming, she never attempted to get out of her bed once. Good girl!
Here's to hoping for more bravery tonight!!
No comments:
Post a Comment