Daddy has introduced the idea of an allowance to her and we're trying to teach her that if you save your money you can get something bigger or better. She gets $2 and this week she was determined to spend it. I will give her credit - the week before Christmas we were out shopping and she found a little wind up dog that flips over and she really wanted to get it for Alex for Christmas. It was on clearance for $1.99 and I was proud of her for spending her first week's allowance on her little brother. Such a big heart, this girl.
Anyway, we proceed to go through EVERY single item in the Disney section, seeing how many "weeks" allowances it will take to buy things. She was determined to find something for $2. Sadly the only thing we found was a Mickey Mouse Christmas ornament with 2014 on it that she wanted nothing to do with. I finally convinced her to head to the jewelry department and she found a cheap bracelet for $2. She was so proud to hand the cashier her $2 and be on her way with her new bracelet.
Tonight at bed time she reminded me of the things she found today that were on her birthday list. I took the opportunity to remind her that if she saves her money she can get it before her birthday and that some things are worth waiting for. She really wants a Periwinkle doll (I think from tinkerbell?) and it's $12. I tried telling her it would take her 6 weeks to save up that much but she kept rattling off days - "so, mom after Monday, Tuesday, etc - I can buy it?" and I kept telling her - no, Makenna - like in March. Once she finally realized how far away that was she was all upset.
I proceeded to teach the child about coupons and her response was priceless. This won't even do it justice but her exact words when I told her that if she had a coupon she wouldn't need to save as much money - "mom, that is AMAZING!!!!!!" I love this girl - I'm pretty sure she is laying in bed right now trying to figure out just what a coupon is and where she can find one. And I'm sure everyone she meets in the next week will also learn what a coupon is....... gotta love this girl!!
Oh goodness! So cute! I love that she's learning about money and coupons :)
ReplyDelete