Friday, November 1, 2013

Alexander's birth story

Alex, your birth story isn't nearly as exciting as your big sister's, but that is TOTALLY fine with this mama!  We had a scheduled C Section for Monday, October 14th at 8am.  The doctor told us to get there around 6am so we had Grandma and Grandpa come over early to take Makenna to school. 
 
 
Here I am getting ready to go to the hospital.  I woke up that morning looking at my belly thinking it seemed way smaller than Makenna's and guessed that you would be a 6lb baby, Alexander. 
 
 
Heading up to Labor and Delivery
 
 
 
It's go time! 
 
 
Getting prepped for surgery...we waited about an hour for the docs and anesthesiologist to be ready.  Before we knew it, it was time! Daddy prayed a sweet prayer over us and they wheeled me back to the operating room.
 
 
 
I told Daddy I needed pictures to document this special day and he sat in front of the mirror and snapped a bunch of pictures of himself in his bunny suit once I got wheeled back to the operating room.  Ha Ha!
 
 
Spinal is in, drugs are kicking in and mommy and daddy are ready to meet you!!  After a lot of tugging, and then needing to cut my incision a little wider to fit your big head out, you were here.
 
At 8:46am, all 7lbs 8oz of you entered the world - I guess mama was a little off in her 6lb guess!
 
Daddy couldn't take a picture of our first sight of you, but it is one I will never forget - the doctor draped you over the "curtain" for a split second and I was instantly in love.  You had a head FULL of hair and were covered in goo!
 
 
Once they took you to clean you up down the hall I heard you scream and scream and scream.  It was music to my ears as I knew it meant you were a healthy little boy.  I cried tears of joy as I sat there in the operating room waiting for daddy to bring you back to see me. 
 
I'll never forget the proud look on daddy's face as he brought you back to see me.  He had the BIGGEST smile on his face and was just so happy. 
 
 
The nurse offered to take our first family picture.... I just love Daddy's smiley eyes in this one!
 
After you were born, Daddy brought you up to the Mom & Baby floor where they checked you all out and cleaned you up.  Mommy's friend Amy came in to work for a few hours that morning just to take care of you!  It was sooo very sweet of her and meant the world to us! 
 
 
Amy was even nice enough to give you this handsome comb-over!
 
Daddy took a whole bunch of pictures of you and brought them down to me in the recovery room so we could finally pick a name for you.  We had it narrowed down to Alexander, Brooks and/or Matthew - any combination of the 3.  While we really wanted to call family and tell them the news, we knew the first thing they would ask was your name so we held off on calling anyone until we picked a name. 
 
 
We decided right away you definitely did not look like a Matthew....I really wanted a name with meaning and Matthew means "God's gift" - which you truly are, but unfortunately you were just not a Matthew. 
 
After about a half hour of back and forth, we finally decided:
 
Alexander Brooks Best
 
Daddy headed back up to be with you while mommy stayed in the recovery room a little longer.  We each made our phone calls to family to finally let them know the big news!  I think some of them were getting nervous since it was almost 11am by that time. 
 
 
Love this one of your frown face!  Too cute!
 
 
It was a BEAUTIFUL day the day you were born!
 
 
Welcome to the world Alexander Brooks!  We love you sooooo much!
  
 

 
 


 
 
 


 


 
 

1 comment: