I was debating posting this on the blog.... but, I want to remember the sweet times with the more trying times, too.
Not only did we get this lovely note from her teacher on Thursday, but it was accompanied with a mid-afternoon phone call letting me know that after this incident, there were 2 more that day. Oh boy. Never a phone call you like to get from your 2 1/2 year old's teacher.
I was actually a bit surprised to hear from her teacher - we have had nothing but very nice notes lately about how polite she is and how sweet she has been to her friends:
"Today, Makenna was very nice and asked her classmate "will you be my friend?""
"Makenna was very good about using her manners - lots of pleases and thank you's today"
"Makenna did not want to go on the potty but she did say "thank you for changing my diaper" when I was through changing her today."
Well, it appears we have regressed a bit. Daddy was kind enough to help me with pick up on Thursday so we could have a little "sit down" with her. I seriously wish I could have gotten the conversation on tape because looking back it was pretty funny. She sat so nicely, knowing she was in trouble and just kept saying "ok, daddy". She knew right away why we were sitting down with her and confessed to it all right away. Daddy told her no trip to the library (I don't think I've ever wrote about her obsession with the library, but yes, we honestly go there 4 times a week - after church on Sunday, after bible study on Tuesday, on Thursday after school and usually one trip to the Sussex library, too - the girl is obsessed with DVD's and will get the same Veggie Tales ones over and over, many times not even watching them before we have to take them back. She does love to watch them, but most times she is content just lining them all up on the living room floor and telling us who is on all of them.). So, no library was kind of a big deal. She just replied with an "ok". Then daddy told her that she was not allowed to buy anything at the Disney store (we were heading there on Friday night so she could pick out a princess dollie). I told her that instead of buying a princess dollie, it might be a good idea to buy her friend a box of band aids to make her feel better after the car incident. Her response - "ok, mommy." I was actually surprised there weren't any tears or anything. She was very calm and listened very well. Every time daddy would ask her why she did it she would just say "Hmmmmm." I wanted to laugh, but did a good job keeping a straight face.
Saturday we headed to the Disney store. I packed up her quarters and she was all set to buy some band aids for her friend. She actually did really good. The Disney store doesn't actually sell band aids so I brought some along and slipped them to the cashier when we walked in. We let Makenna look around and she of course grabbed every princess dollie she could find. When I told her it was time to put them all back because she didn't have any money for them she did it without even a peep. "Ok, mommy" So I asked her what we needed to buy with her money and she said "princess band aids for Sophia!" So we went up to the cashier, she handed her the money and said - "do you have any band aids?".
One bag with my friend's birthday presents and one bag with my bandaids!
Sunday night we made cards for her friends to aplogize to them for hitting them
And I was hoping that would make for a bully-free day on Monday.
We got to school and she was all excited to give her friend the band aids & the cards.
I'd love to say that this plan worked and she was an absolute angel in school today but... c'mon the girl is headed toward 3 and starting to act more and more like it everyday:)
On the bright side, there was only one victim today:)
Poor thing was so wiped out after school today she totally dozed off on the ride home - which she NEVER does!
Daddy had another little sit down with her again tonight. Here's to hopin' for a NICE note in her folder on Thursday!!!




What a wonderful lesson you're teaching your daughter. :)
ReplyDeleteThat note is precious! Way to go Mommy!
ReplyDelete